Quick Carrot Spice Muffins on the Survival Grill
A simple recipe for fast, wholesome muffins can be cooked from a mix on the survival grill.
Ingredient list for six muffins:
One package Martha White Cinnamon Sugar muffin mix
I small 4 ounce jar baby carrots
4 Tablespoons evaporated milk
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
2 cups or More Measuring Cup
Twin pack of 6 muffin foil pans
Paper baking cups
One sandwich size Ziploc bag
Oven mitt or hot pad
Wooden pizza board, optional but great for outdoor prep work
Step by step directions:
1. Pour nuts and raisins into Ziploc sandwich bag.
2. Open muffin mix across the top and remove 2 Tablespoons of dry mix, adding it to sandwich bag. Shake bag slightly to mix.
3. Add the 4 tablespoons milk and jar of carrots to dry mix in measuring cup, stirring until moistened.
4. Add fruit nut mix and stir just until blended.
5. Put 1 ½ Tablespoons of water into each cup of one foil pan. Place the second pan over the top and line with paper cups.
6. Evenly distribute batter into cups.
7. Preheat covered grill with gas open to 1/2 position and thermometer in place on grill grate.
8. Place muffins on grill when temperature reaches between 350 and 400 degrees.
9. Bake 15 – 18 minutes or until muffins are golden and feel firm to the touch.
10. Remove muffins from grill and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Tip: Remember that the grill temperature is lowered by removing the lid and increased by leaving the lid in place and allowing time for the temperature to increase. A good practice to assure even baking is to check the thermometer every 5 minutes.
From the test kitchen of Robinson Crusoe Recipes